St John's Hall
St Johns Hall
Listed Building Consent and Detailed Planning Permission was obtained to erect a roof extension to St John’s Hall a Grade II Listed building situated within the Tooley Street Conservation Area close to Tower Bridge, London. The building overlooks St John’s Churchyard and the former site of St John Horsleydown which together with St John’s Hall, was built for the Commission for Building Fifty New Churches to the designs of Nicholas Hawksmoor and John James in 1726-33.
The existing building was extended in 1852 and the proposed extension enhances the building by adding a coherent structure which unifies the disparate elements by being sympathetic to the classical ethos of the original design. The additional accommodation includes a new staircase, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and built-in storage at first floor level. External stucco render and reconstituted stone detailing will be repaired to ensure the new details match the existing.